Monday, September 15, 2008

Charity


For those of you who were able to watch the Opening Ceremonies of this year's Olympics, this story will be familiar. Amidst all of the athletes and political leaders involved in the ceremony, there was one who was at the forefront of recognition. He walked along-side the popular NBA star - Yao Ming, who carried the Flag for the host country - China. This young boy was a victim who survived the earthquake which hit China just a few months ago (in May). He is a second grade, nine-year old boy who was at school during the quake. His school collapsed and his teacher and many of his classmates were killed. This young boy, although injured, freed himself from the rubble. Astonishingly, it wasn't enough to save himself so he then went back to the rubble and dug - going on to free two of his classmates. When asked why he did this courageous act, in what was now a dangerous area, he replied - 'I'm the class reader and a hall monitor; it was my responsibility.' "Greater love hath no man than this . . . ." (John 15:13); The bible dictionary defines Charity as "the highest, noblest, strongest kind of love, not merely affection; the pure love of Christ." Perhaps it is also serving and doing for others when it is not required of us.

1 comment:

Luana said...

Hi Crystal,
I found your blog through Drew's. I don't remember how I found his, but I am glad I can see how you both are getting along. Come by and visit me at my blog. I'll be sure to check in every now and then and see how you are doing.
Luana Byington